Hope you are all enjoying some of this lovely sunshine we are having!  It certainly makes me feel more cheerful, even if I am only enjoying it through the office window!

But in the midst of all this sunshine, and great BBQs and fun in the sun, if possible do spare a thought for your tax return!  Sorry to spoil the lovely picture I have painted, but if you are self-employed you do need to file your tax return before 31 January 2018.  I know that is ages away, but if you want to be able to ask HMRC to collect any tax due through your tax coding, then the tax return must be filed much earlier than January 2018.  There are of course other requirements:

  • you owe less than £3,000 on your tax bill
  • you already pay tax through PAYE, eg you’re an employee or you get a company pension
  • you submitted your paper tax return by 31 October or your online tax return online by 30 December

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will automatically collect what you owe through your tax code if you meet all 3 conditions, unless you’ve specifically asked them not to (on your tax return).  If you’re not eligible, you won’t be able to pay this way.

So why not pull out the paperwork now and get the ball rolling!  Any problems, we are here to help.

Remember too that 31 July 2017 is the date by which you must pay your second payment on account.  HMRC statements should be coming through the post advising what you have to pay.

You can of course log into your personal tax account!  “What’s that?” I hear you say! – Your personal tax account allows you to manage your tax affairs online, quickly and simply, whenever you want.  It’s safe, personalised, and brings together all your tax information in one place.    Whether you need to make changes to the tax you pay or have questions about when your next tax credits payment date is, your personal tax account can help.

You can also do things like:

  • check and change your address
  • see what tax code you’re on, and how your tax is calculated
  • check your state pension and your National Insurance record
  • go paperless – gets texts and emails from us rather than letters
  • manage your tax credits and Child Benefit payments
  • allow a family member or friend to manage your tax affairs on your behalf
  • track the progress of any forms you’ve submitted to us

SO much quicker than trying to telephone HMRC!

Again, any problems, we are here to help.